11072009_homecoming_princetonmike009
Penn football beat the Princeton Tigers 42-7 at the Homecoming game Saturday. Student turnout for the game was outstanding, with many Quaker fans decked out in red and blue. Credit: Michael Chien

There is little fodder that a football writer finds more saliva-inducing than a dramatic last-second play featuring acts of heroism by a single quarterback or defensive standout.

After all, it’s fulfilling to be able to point one’s finger and say, “That is the reason for the outcome.”

So it is hardly surprising that a great deal of attention this preseason has been paid to the Penn football team’s improvements and developments in high-profile, glamorous positions like quarterback and running back.

There is no denying that senior Keiffer Garton’s return, sophomore Billy Ragone’s quest toward the starting lineup and the Quakers’ burgeoning running game — headlined by explosive sophomore Lyle Marsh — will all be major storylines throughout the 2010 season.

But these exciting aspects of the Red and Blue’s offense would never be able to flourish without the glamorless giants sumo-wrestling in the mud, trying to protect them.

That’s right, I’m a sucker for the little guys — metaphorically speaking, of course.

The offensive line will prove one of the Quakers’ most valuable assets this coming season for a number of reasons.

It has star power in senior center Joe D’Orazio, who was recently named a third-team preseason All-American by the College Sporting News. This came after he was named a preseason All-American by The Sports Network.

A native of Bryn Mawr, Pa., D’Orazio was first team All-Ivy last season and one of just two Ivy players — along with Princeton linebacker Steven Cody — to make a CSN All-America team.

But for all of his accolades, D’Orazio is just one fifth of an offensive line that allowed the fewest sacks in the Ancient Eight in 2009, giving up just six in its last nine games.

Penn running backs coach Steven Downs recognizes how important the guys in the trenches will be in helping Marsh and the rest of the offense shine.

“We’ve got a really good line up front — a really veteran, seasoned line,” Downs said during Penn football media day. “I don’t mean to boast or brag about our guys up front, but we’ve got two of the best in Luke Nawrocki and Ryan Murray.”

Junior and senior tight ends respectively, Nawrocki and Murray will help keep Garton comfortable in the pocket, so that he doesn’t put any undue stress on his newly repaired ACL.

And for his part, Garton recognizes the importance of having a solid wall for him to stand behind.

“That’s huge,” the quarterback said. “We have five guys back that have experience on the line.”

The importance of protection has not been lost on Garton any more than it has on head coach Al Bagnoli, who insists that the returning offensive linemen are one of the Red and Blue’s biggest advantages in the their quest for a repeat Ivy Championship.

“We have expectations on offense to be much improved,” Bagnoli said. “We have the entire offensive line back that we started.”

Experience up front will be the foundation upon which a controlled passing game and explosive running game can be built. So don’t forget the little big guys.

ELI COHEN is a junior philosophy major from Washington, D.C. He can be contacted at dpsports@dailypennsylvanian.com.