The Panhellenic Council extension committee unanimously voted Monday to add a new sorority to campus in 2011 rather than 2012, according to Panhel President and College junior Darby Nelson.

The new sorority will be Penn's eighth, following Friday's announcement that Phi Sigma Sigma will close at the end of the academic year.

The extension committee — made up of presidents and representatives from each sorority — voted April 22 to add another sorority to campus to accommodate a rise in interest in sorority life at Penn. Monday's vote determined whether the new sorority would be added in 2011 or 2012, according to Nelson.

Nelson said Phi Sig representatives opted out of both votes, as the sorority will no longer be active at Penn next year.

This summer, national organizations of sororities not currently represented on campus can apply to be considered for extension at Penn. Representatives from sororities will be invited to campus and shown around by Office of Fraternity and Sorority Affairs staff — a process which Nelson likened to admitted student program Penn Previews, except for prospective sororities instead of high school seniors.

Panhel's extension committee will review applications in the fall and decide which sorority to add. Following formal recruitment by other sororities in spring 2011, the new sorority will informally recruit members, according to Nelson.

Panhel Advisor and OFSA Associate Director for Programming Stacy Kraus said the new sorority will be able to recruit from all four classes, adding that she anticipates it will seek an "even mix of freshmen, sophomores and juniors."

The process will be "very similar" to Sigma Kappa's colonization in 2002, according to Kraus.

Nelson said the extension committee has "no clue as of now" as to the number of sororities that will submit applications.

"Any chapter that's not on campus is welcome to apply," she said.