As a result of its newly acquired Hewlett-Packard grant, Penn will be able to continue its work in Ghana.

The International Development Summer Institute Africa Program, a new collaboration between the School of Engineering and Applied Science and the College’s African Studies Center, will send 14 students from Engineering, Wharton and the College to Ghana for four weeks this summer.

The program’s partnership with the Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology resulted from the university’s historical connection to Penn.

“Kwame Nkrumah, our Penn alum, was the first president of Ghana and is known for his campaign to liberate Ghana from colonial rule,” said Anastasia Shown, assistant director of the African Studies Center. Nkrumah graduated from Penn in 1941 with a master’s degree from the Graduate School of Education.

While in Ghana, students will work on projects involving water sanitation, microfinance, education and health. They will also earn two course credits for classes they will take at the Kwame Nkrumah University.

Recognizing the diversity of talents necessary to work in international development, the program sought applicants from all four of Penn’s undergraduate schools. This broad base of skills will allow the team to develop projects that fit harmoniously with the Ghanaian people and their lifestyle.

“There’s a technical component, but sometimes what’s even more important is the cultural component,” said Associate Dean for Education John Keenan, a professor of Electrical and Systems Engineering. “You need to have awareness.”

In preparation for the trip, students will attend five three-hour classes co-taught by Keenan and History professor Lee Cassanelli. These classes will introduce students to the language and culture of Ghana while also teaching them about sustainable development.

“It’s a lot of time, but it’s really necessary,” said College sophomore Claire Le Guen, who is going on the trip.

Students will keep journals while abroad and prepare reports on their projects when they come back in the fall. When they are not working, students will go on weekend excursions to visit cultural landmarks in Ghana, Keenan said.

The program is going to be both a learning experience and a vacation, Le Guen said. She is mostly excited about working on the water sanitation projects.

“I’ve never been to Africa and thought that it would be cool,” Engineering sophomore Andrew Piskai said of his decision to go to Ghana.

The most interesting component of the program has been learning about Ghana, Piskai said. He hopes to gain valuable practical engineering experience while there.

“We hope the program will be self-sustaining, so that every summer a group of students can go,” Keenan said.