*This story appeared in the 2010 Joke Issue.

Just in time for the good weather, the Annenberg School for Communication has announced a new study abroad program for communications majors in Acapulco, Mexico at the Universidad Loyola del Pacifico.

The announcement followed Penn’s recent decision not to suspend study abroad programs in Mexico, despite the U.S. Department of State’s travel warning.

“We hope a lot of students will apply to study in Acapulco,” Annenberg Dean Michael Delli Carpini said. “We figured the new program would be popular with communications majors, especially since most are familiar with the area from spring break.”

The program is mainly intended for students wishing to focus on hotel public relations. Students will be able to apply to study in Acapulco, effective immediately.

Classes that can be taken toward the communications major at Loyola del Pacifico include “Communication and Spring Break Media,” “Introduction to College Parties and Media” and “Tourism: Why Acapulco is the New Cancun.”

In response, the Office of International Programs has created a risk management position to deal with the dangers of studying abroad in Acapulco, according to Executive Director at OIP Anne Waters.

“The risk management position was created to deal specifically with Penn students who plan to study in Acapulco,” Waters said. “The possibilities of binge drinking and all-night partying definitely present major risks.”

These dangers include potential alcohol poisoning, drug abuse and “partying like a rockstar,” according to Waters. “This is certainly unlike any party in the U.S.A.”

Students, especially sorority sisters, are pumped for the new program.

College freshman Nichole O’Malley, who has just declared the communications major, “can’t wait to apply.”

“I’ve always wanted to study abroad, and Acapulco would be the perfect location for an extended spring break … er, I mean for the study of Mexican culture and its tourism economy,” she said.