phase_iv072
Light fixtures were installed in core campus areas west of 40th Street during Phase Four of the University City Lighting Initiative.

The fourth phase of a lighting initiative designed to light up spaces both on and off campus is underway.

The University City Lighting Initiative, which began in October 2006, was implemented to brighten up and increase police presence in areas with the highest crime rates in the Penn Patrol Zone. The zone spans from 30th to 43rd streets and from Market to Baltimore streets.

The cost of the project is shared between Penn, local landlords and homeowners, with Penn funding approximately half the total cost.

While the Division of Public Safety spearheaded the first three phases alongside partners from the University City District, Executive Director of Real Estate Development Ed Datz is the predominant manager for the current phase.

To date, 102 fixtures — mostly pedestrian lighting along 40th to 43rd and Baltimore to Chestnut streets — have been installed in Phase Four, which began last fall. Installation will continue over the winter season, with more lights being installed in the spring. The previous phases focused on lighting within the campus’ core grounds, as well as fixing and improving existing street lights.

Vice President of Public Safety Maureen Rush said there has been a decrease in overall crime since the project was first implemented, but said she is hesitant to attribute the decrease to one specific project.

She added that the University’s efforts to make the area a safer place over the past 15 years are not “happenstance.”

“Lighting, along with police security and closed-circuit TV, make people want to go outside,” she said. “When more people are outside, it’s safer for everyone.”