01242010_yoreka004
Yoreka, 1920 Commons

Yo-reka!, a self-serve dining option offering several types of yogurt and toppings such as granola and fruit, has replaced Hershey’s Ice Cream under 1920s Commons.

Discussions about a potential new venture began last fall when Bon Appetit was examining its operations, Director of Dining Services Laurie Cousart said.

“We were hopeful about the ice cream store, but it wasn’t drawing the interest from students and other customers we’d hoped it would,” she said.

After conducting research, she explained that the company identified yogurt ­— particularly Greek yogurt ­— and mix-ins as a popular choice, especially for students.

Moreover, Cousart added that “there seems to be a trend of people liking to make things their way.”

Over winter vacation, the Bon Appetit team worked to get Yo-reka! off the ground.

The team came up with the topping choices, designed new colors and shirts and worked with Penn Facilities, Cousart explained.

“They came up with a completely new concept and implemented it smoothly,” Cousart said of Bon Appetit’s success.

Another change that Yo-reka brings is more convenient hours. It is open from 7:30 a.m. to 9:30 p.m. Monday through Friday so customers can go there for breakfast.

“Making a parfait before dashing to class in the morning is a great, healthy, fresh option for students,” director of communications for Business Services Barbara Lea-Kruger said.

“I think it’s a really good idea, especially now since people are concerned with eating and living healthily,” Wharton freshman Shiri Bogomolny said. “I think people would definitely be likely to stop in and have some yogurt, instead of having ice cream, since it’s a much more healthy choice.”

Business Services has already received positive feedback and suggestions, Lea-Kruger said, and welcomes any further student input.