Penn’s Student Health Service reported 137 cases of influenza-like illness suspected to be type H1N1 on campus for the week of October 5-11, according to Matthew Waller, director of communications and external affairs for the Office of the Vice Provost for University Life.

The new cases make Penn’s weekly infection rate 67.9 cases per 10,000 students per week, significantly above both state and national averages.

The Pennsylvania college average is 26.0 suspected cases per 10,000 students and the national college average of 19.2 cases per 10,000 students for the week of October 3-9, according to the American College Health Association.

Penn’s weekly infection rate has steadily risen since the beginning of the fall semester, while national rates have held constant at around 19 cases per 10,000 for the last three weeks. During the last recording period, the week of Sept. 27 to Oct. 4, Penn reported 88 cases of influenza-like illness.

Waller said that SHS hopes to begin distributing a vaccine specific to H1N1 sometime in late October.

In the meantime, SHS is currently reserving seasonal flu vaccinations for those who are at risk for complications from the flu. They are currently experiencing a shortage in the vaccine but expect to receive more soon, Waller added.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention have recommended that all persons under the age of 24 receive both the seasonal flu vaccine and the H1N1 vaccine if possible.

Ill students can have a friend pick up a breakfast, lunch, and dinner pack for them at any campus dining location, Waller said.

Students with flu-like symptoms, including fever, cough, sore throat, runny or stuffy nose, body aches, headache, chills and fatigue, are urged to remain at home and call the SHS flu help line at 215-746-3535 for further information.