Eleanor Keeler, a British exchange student from University College London, died at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania this morning, according to University spokeswoman Lori Doyle.

Keeler suffered a cardiac arrest last week while jogging on campus, according to the CaringBridge web site run by her family. She underwent surgery and has been in critical condition since the incident.

"We are profoundly saddened to learn of Ella Keeler's passing," said Penn President Amy Gutmann in a statement. "Losing a young person in the prime of life is devastating. We can, however, take some comfort from knowing that Ella spent her final moments surrounded by her beloved family. The Penn community extends our deepest sympathy to Ella's parents, siblings, and friends during this most difficult time."

Alison LaLond Wyant, Dean of Stouffer College House, where Keeler lived, e-mailed the house listserve this morning to inform students of Keeler's death.

Students in need of grief counseling should contact Counseling and Psychological Services.

Keeler's death comes a week after College senior Kenneth Nwannunu passed away while on a study abroad program in Shanghai. The cause of Nwannunu's death has not yet been determined.

Check dailypennsylvanian.com for updates through the weekend. If you wish to share your thoughts about Eleanor, please contact Managing Editor Rebecca Kaplan at kaplan@dailypennsylvanian.com.