College senior Mary Beth Fender has been applying to marketing research and communications research jobs in Washington D.C., but so far has not received an offer.

However, Fender said she is far from the only person she knows who may graduate without a job. With graduation less than a month away, many Penn seniors might be receiving their diplomas before they know where they will be working.

Career Service Director Patricia Rose said that because of the economic downturn, the job market is worse this year than it has been in the past.

"This is a more pervasive slowdown than any I've seen in 25 years in career services," Rose said.

While students are concerned about graduating without jobs, some are able to cope.

April 22, 8:27 p.m.

Despite her lack of a job, Fender is at peace with her potential unemployment and is resigned to graduating jobless.

She said that because it is not uncommon to still be looking for a job at Penn this year, she has not felt stigmatized on campus.

"Penn people are aware it's tough to find a job, especially the types of jobs we've been told to go after," Fender said.

College senior Aaron Blacksberg, who is applying to government and public policy jobs in Washington D.C., is also remaining calm about his career uncertainty.

"I'm not really worried yet," Blacksberg said. "I still have time."

Blacksberg added that he knows seniors who are stressed out about not having a job yet. He added that he thinks the stress of not having a job is hardest for people who are unsure what field they want to work in and who are unaware that many of their peers are in a similar predicament.

Rose said the most important thing for seniors who will graduate without jobs to do is to make sure they will still have health insurance.

After ensuring coverage, Rose said they should decide where they want to live while they continue their job searches.

See Thursday's Daily Pennsylvanian for more information.