History professor and Penn Civic Scholars Program faculty director Walter Licht has lived in West Philadelphia since 1977, when he began teaching at Penn.

For Licht, living in the area offered city living with the perks of low prices and more space.

"I am an urban person," said Licht, who grew up in Brooklyn. "I've never lived in anything but cities."

Licht is one of many members of Penn's faculty and staff who have happily settled in Penn's neighborhood.

They admit the area has its drawbacks, but those are no different than any other urban residential neighborhood.

Much of Penn's faculty can thank former President Judith Rodin for establishing a program that encouraged faculty members to live nearby.

Under this program, Penn pays for staff members to live in the area as long as they commit to living in West Philadelphia for the long term.

"The mortgage program really tipped it for us," said Jewish Studies professor Natalie Dohrmann, who lives in St. Mark's Square along with her husband, Classics professor Peter Struck.

In addition, the Rodin administration's contributions to creating the University City District, a neighborhood outdoor lighting plan and the Penn Alexander School have made the city "liveable," said Al Filreis, an English professor and the faculty director of Kelly Writer's House.

"The neighborhood has many dedicated people to sustaining it as a viable neighborhood," said Licht, who noted the numerous block associations in the area.

For those with children, it is convenient to be able to walk to work and quickly return home to be with family, Licht said.

And then there are the charms of the neighborhood: the diversity, historical buildings, beautiful landscaping and wide, open front porches.

Dohrmann and Filreis said they enjoy the neighborhood's convenience for children.

Filreis, who called the back-alley on his block - on the 46th and Osage Streets - a "haven for kids," said he finds that living in West Philadelphia "implicitly teaches my kids that you can live in the city in the 21st century, and it's fine."

Dohrmann, whose son is seven years old, said there are "35 kids on the block under the age of 12."

Another perk of living close to campus is that professors can easily return to campus at night to attend University events and lectures.

Filreis, who likes to ride his bike to campus, said seeing adults with children on Locust Walk at night makes Penn students feel safer.

Still, as in all cities, crime is to be expected.

A few summers ago, some "kids" stole iPods and laptops from houses in Filreis' neighborhood, Filreis said.

But he added that his house has never been robbed and that there has been no violent crime in the area - and Dohrmann said that she always feels safe walking in the neighborhood at night.

Ultimately, Penn professors agree the area around Penn's campus is indeed livable and even attractive, despite its stigma.

"It feels like a real place," Filreis said. "I have a lawn, a garden and composting, yet I'm living in the city."