Students looking to live Greek this year might have to pick a number and wait.

With the majority of this year's new members looking for space in one of 38 fraternities and sororities, it's often hard for them to find an open room in popular houses.

While the average pledge-class numbers nearly 19, some chapters have welcomed over 40 new members to a house with room for only 15 or 20.

"We've had more [new members] than previous years," said College junior Alissa Eisenberg, president of the Panhellenic Council. "This is great, since usually the complaint is a lack of members."

Greek leaders have been very satisfied with this year's housing turnout. In past years, Greek houses have faced problems filling rooms and have been subjected to fines from Penn Facilities for failing to meet quotas. The Radian, completed in 2008, also drew away some of last year's pledges.

However, despite the economic crisis, finances might be less of a factor in housing decisions than in previous years.

The cost of Greek housing has stayed roughly the same and even recently become a bargain compared to college-house rates driven up by the poor economy, according to Scott Reikofski, director of the Office of Fraternity and Sorority Affairs.

Also, unlike many off-campus options, Greek housing is covered by financial aid and residents do not need to sublet or pay rent during the summer.

"[Filling space] was definitely a big worry," said College junior and Chi Omega president Julie McClain. "But things weren't nearly so bad this year - a lot of things have made Greek housing more affordable, and I'm grateful for that."

Some students expressed concern that on-campus housing deadlines might have been too early, as new Greek members must wait until Bid Night in late January to confirm that they will have Greek housing.

"Some off-campus real-estate companies try to coerce students into signing leases in November, nearly a year in advance," Reikofski said.

University deadlines were indeed close to Greek rush. The residential program deadline this year was Jan. 21, a day before sorority bid night and about a week before fraternity bid night. Community-living and interhouse-change deadlines were more lenient, coming in mid-February.

But for the most part, "It's not really an issue," said McClain. "Rush happens before most deadlines pass, so we've got the business on our end handled."