73t7u7bn
Distrito is one of the many restaurants and businesses in the area trying reduced-price deals to attract more customers in a weak economy.

Grabbing a quick meal before class or going to dinner with friends is now easier for many students with thinning wallets.

Local restaurants and businesses are offering students recession specials in an effort to bring in more business at a time when financial concerns are a priority.

Distrito, located at 3945 Chestnut St., is providing students a discount: 20 percent off all food on Mondays and Tuesdays.

"It gives students a nice opportunity to dine in a great restaurant," said Brian Sirhal, the restaurant's beverage manager.

The reason for the discount, he said, is twofold: one, because of the current state of the economy and two, to reach out to the Penn community.

Wharton freshman Alyssa Gelkopf took advantage of the cheaper food.

She said she enjoys the tapas-style menu and the vivacious interior décor, such as the green Volkswagen beetle taxi cab and the wall lined with multicolored "lucha libre" wrestling masks.

So for her friend's birthday, Gelkopf opted to celebrate at Distrito.

"We wanted a place that is fun and not too expensive," she said.

On-campus eating locations are heading in the same direction, also presenting students with dining deals - all under $6.

A few weeks ago, Penn Dining sent an e-mail to students that listed value deals for on-campus locations that accept Dining Dollars, PennCash, SFS, cash and credit cards.

At the Einstein's Bros. Bagels in Houston Hall, students can purchase a plain pizza bagel, chips and a coffee or tea for $5.99.

Upon hearing about this value deal, College freshman Zach Roberts said it's "very nice."

He added that since he eats at Einstein's one to two times per day, his dining dollars will diminish at a slower rate with this new deal.

Subway at 1920's Commons also offers a dining deal: footlong subways will now be sold for $5.

Plus, at the neighboring Starbucks, students can buy a tall latte and a muffin for $3.95.

Although Penn Dining presented students with these economic deals, some just prefer to cook at home - which provides another means to save money.

"A lot of times I just buy food at the Fresh Grocer and make my own food," College sophomore Samantha Prince said.

She added that it's healthier than most fast-food eating establishments.

Even with cheaper options, she said, health is on the "top of her menu."