"For most, leadership is an acquired skill," said Michael Useem, director of the Wharton Leadership Center, during the preceptorial he hosted with University President Amy Gutmann yesterday.

The preceptorial, entitled "Essence of Leadership," took place at 4:30 p.m. at the President's House. It was the first in a two-part series that gives 35 students the chance to participate in interactive deliberations on leadership. The second installment is scheduled for April 13.

The theme of leadership is especially relevant now as we are in a time of crisis, which is when leadership matters most, Gutmann said. She talked about her own experience leading the University, specifically over the last six to eight months.

She credited Penn Compact's strategic vision for enabling Penn's continued success despite the economic crisis. Penn continues to support financially the best faculty and hire selectively despite the natural reaction of across-the-board cuts, she said. Penn also plans to increase financial aid from $90 million to $120 million annually, she said.

For part of the session, students were divided into groups and asked to pick a historical or contemporary figure they all agreed was a good leader. Each group then presented its choice along with two to four qualities that defined its chosen leader to the rest of the room.

Students presented on leaders as diverse as Mahatma Gandhi, Mohammed Ali, Steve Jobs and Penn's own Ira Harkavy - founder of Penn's Center for Community Partnerships. Perseverance, good communication skills and the ability to lead by example came up frequently in different groups' leadership templates.

This exercise demonstrated the inductive way in which the preceptorial was designed to work. Useem told students to "take example and experience and extract the underlying principles of leadership."

Gutmann said she was impressed by how well the students completed the assignment and by their level of engagement.

Students responded enthusiastically to the event as well.

Haywood Perry, a freshman in the College, said "as an aspiring leader, the preceptorial connected me with fellow students interested in exploring leadership."

Gutmann affirmed that Penn will demonstrate conviction and passion and increase access even in the hardest times. The University is in good shape to emerge from the crisis stronger than it went into it, she added, thanks to the backing of its alumni, faculty and students.

"'A crisis is a terrible opportunity to waste,'" she quipped.

*This article was updated at 1:12 p.m. on 2/24/09 to reflect the fact that Penn is spending millions, not billions, on financial aid.