Casino-Free Philadelphia is showing city residents it holds one more truth to be self-evident - that casinos do not belong in Philadelphia.

The organization will hold a town hall meeting in Center City tonight as part of its new campaign, entitled "Declaration of Independence from Casinos."

The meeting will be held at 712 Market St. from 6:45 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.

The group will focus on updating city residents on the status of the proposed casinos and educating people about "what we mean when we talk about predatory gambling, as opposed to social gambling," Casino-Free founder Jethro Heiko said.

Casino-Free argues that slot machines are especially predatory, according to organization member Brendan Walsh.

The meeting will also address how to become involved in the anti-casino campaign, which has garnered the support of nearly 5,000 people, said Paul Boni, attorney for the organization.

Casino-Free's goal is to gain the support of elected officials. While he said he is unsure whether officials will be at today's meeting, Heiko said he thinks they will begin to come over time.

"And if they don't come, we will certainly come to them," he added.

The next meeting is in Riverwards town hall on Mar. 18 for the bigger ward neighborhoods along the Delaware River.

Casino-Free will come to West Philadelphia for a May 21 meeting at the Rotunda, located at 4012 Walnut St.

Since this meeting falls after Penn's spring semester ends, Heiko encouraged students to go downtown today to learn about the group.

There will also be a presentation geared toward students in April, he said.

The campaign was launched on Jan. 27, when a man dressed as Thomas Jefferson signed the "Declaration of Independence from Casinos" on Independence Mall.

Related StoriesCommunity members protest proposed casino | Interactive timeline - NewsPerspective: Stakes are high for Center City casino | Interactive Feature - NewsGallery zoning up for debate - News