In the plans for eastward expansion, the University is not limiting itself to the postal lands. In fact, recent developments have planted Penn even farther east - 7,245 miles, to be exact.

The University recently announced key partnerships with two universities in China: Shanghai Jiao Tong University in Shanghai and Tsinghua University in Beijing. The collaborations include all four undergraduate schools and several graduate programs, including Penn Law and the School of Medicine.

The programs will include both a student exchange program and faculty partnerships in a wide range of areas - everything from biomedical research to international business - and across all participating schools, according to a University press release.

In preparations for the collaboration, Penn President Amy Gutmann traveled to China over winter break. When she returned, she praised the University's steps to extend itself in international collaboration and cooperation.

"We are very committed to expanding these partnerships, and we are very enthusiastic about it," she said.

In Shanghai, Gutmann met with SJTU official Madame Ma and President Zhang Jie to flesh out the budding relationship.

The history between the two universities, however, draws upon a previous global relationship between Wharton and SJTU's Antai College of Economics and Management. According to the press release, the two hope to strengthen the ties by co-sponsoring a conference on international finance market regulation.

In Beijing, Gutmann met with Tsinghua University President Gu Binglin. While this partnership will highlight research between the School of Engineering and Applied Sciences and Tsinghua University, collaborations are under way to involve Wharton and Penn Law.

The relationship with Tsinghua University evolved from the School of Design's earlier work with the university on energy efficiency and sustainability in building design through the Penn-Tsinghua T.C. Chan Center for Building Simulation and Energy in Beijing.

Gutmann intimated that these new connections are just some of the steps being taken toward extending the University's global collaborations and influence.

"We are working to create new partnerships to be sustained in the years ahead," she explained.