Today, Bike Share Philadelphia will give students one less reason to go to the gym.

The organization is hosting a demonstration station of public-use bicycle models from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. in front of the Penn bookstore.

Whether you're a fitness buff, an environmentalist or just sick of sitting in traffic, public-use bicycles offer a viable alternative to driving, according to Russell Meddin of Bike Share Philadelphia.

The goal of the year-old group, Meddin said, is to create a city-wide program that provides equal bicycle access for all city residents.

The system would be affordable and accessible with a card that would also be used for all Philadelphia transit, such as SEPTA and PhillyCarShare.

Widespread bicycle use would not only be more sustainable and reduce street congestion, but it would also increase opportunities for exercise in a city with a high rate of obesity and diabetes, Meddin said.

He noted that one striking difference between bicycle riding and other modes of transportation is the "A to B" facet.

On bicycles, someone can start and end at different locations, allowing users to make more flexible travel plans.

"It would change the way people think about transit in Philadelphia and give [them] one more way to use transit," Meddin said.

The new "third generation" bike hubs that have built-in GPS trackers to protect against theft, as well as electronic locking systems.

Anyone can try out one of the bicycles at today's demonstration as long as they have identification to give the administrators for security purposes.

Meddin strongly encourages taking advantage of the demonstration because the bikes are "abstract if you have never seen them and it's like an epiphany when you see one operate."

Many students are excited to try out the bikes.

College freshman Laura Dean said she's looking forward to seeing the bikes today. "It's something that a lot of students would use," she said.

College junior Amy Kranzler agreed.

"As an avid bike rider, I think this is a ground-breaking alternative," she said.

The bicycles will also be demonstrated tomorrow at the Academy of Natural Sciences.

Related StoriesDetouring an alternate route to U. City - NewsSeniors plan a shared way to cross campus - NewsPhilly next to embrace public-use bicycles? - News