y6dr0g34
California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger and Pennsylvania Gov. Ed Rendell speak at the National Governors Association meeting at Independence Hall Tuesday morning to discuss possible solutions to the economic crisis.

President-elect Barack Obama met with the nation's governors in Philadelphia yesterday to discuss state issues affected by the financial crisis.

Obama called on the National Governors Association to assemble at Independence Hall, in a move Pennsylvania Gov. Ed Rendell, the chair of the association, called "unprecedented."

In his remarks to the governors, Obama touted his economic stimulus program and sought advice from both Republican and Democratic officials.

"We didn't come here begging for help," Rendell said.

The group discussed solutions with Obama and Vice President-elect Joe Biden for nearly two hours in an "incredibly productive meeting," Rendell said.

Across the country, state and local governments are being forced to reduce budgets to meet economic pressures. Many face the difficult choice of cutting social services needed in hard economic times or raising taxes - both of which, Rendell said, would harm the economy further.

For this reason, most of the governors in attendance agreed that additional economic stimulus plans should include state assistance.

Rendell said the states have $136 billion in infrastructure projects "ready to go now," which he claimed would reinvigorate economic growth and provide American jobs.

In Philadelphia, the financial situation is especially dire, with the city planning massive budget cuts and personnel reductions.

California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger, whose state has already pledged millions for infrastructure improvement, encouraged Obama to aid states in creating high-speed rail systems, bridges and highways.

However, not all governors in attendance saw more government investment as a safe solution.

South Carolina Gov. Mark Sanford and Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin both remained skeptical of increased government spending to alleviate an economic problem brought on by fiscal irresponsibility.

"Can we indeed solve the problems that were ultimately created by too much debt by adding more debt?" Sanford asked, saying that some initiatives are still problematic.

Despite these ideological differences, all of the governors expressed appreciation for Obama's outreach.

"Governors do know best," Palin said, "and the President-elect is great to ask specifics from the governors."

Rendell reminded the public that there were "no guarantees" from the President-elect, but that Obama was "dedicated to infrastructure" as a means to economic revitalization.

Despite this uncertainty, Rendell said he was pleased to have the governors assembled in such a way, noting he had "never seen anything before as productive as this."