Read a free copy of The New York Times every day? Download music from Ruckus?

You've got Provost Ron Daniels to thank for that.

Daniels, who was named Johns Hopkins University's next president yesterday, was embraced by student leaders for the enthusiasm he brought to projects devoted to improving student life.

"I was always amazed at how much he valued ideas from students and how he truly empowered students . to provide input and have real say in shaping university policy," 2008 alumnus and 2007-08 Undergraduate Assembly chairman Jason Karsh wrote in an e-mail.

In particular, the provost played an important role in translating the UA's ideas into reality through financial support.

Brett Thalmann, a 2008 College and Wharton alumnus who chaired the UA from 2006 to 2007, pointed to Ruckus, the free University downloading service, as an example. The Provost's Office helped implement the project along with Information Technology Services.

College and Wharton senior Wilson Tong, who is currently leading the UA, cited the free copies of The New York Times on campus, a project that would have not been possible had the provost not agreed to fund it.

That positive working relationship likely stemmed from Provost Daniels' ease and friendliness around students.

"He's a jovial guy," Tong said. "He's really intelligent and provides insights."

In meetings with the provost, Karsh said Daniels would often crack a joke or ask students about their classes to put everyone at ease.

The commitment to working with students also extended far beyond the UA, said other student leaders.

When the United Minorities Council first came to Daniels about using the ARCH building for minority resource centers, he immediately acknowledged their vision for the space, said chairwoman Lisa Zhu, a College and Wharton senior who is also a columnist for The Daily Pennsylvanian.

"He wasn't just committed to diversity, he was really interested in getting students to benefit from diversity," Zhu said. "What we really hope is that people are able to continue sharing his vision."

These leaders congratulate Johns Hopkins on the selection of Daniels as their new president, but admit they will be hard pressed to find a replacement with as much passion as he had.

"It was definitely unexpected and much sooner than I thought," said Thalmann. "It's definitely a loss for the University because he brought a lot of energy and new ideas while he was provost."

And there's also the question of whether a new provost will bring as much to student meetings as Daniels did, an area in which he excelled, said associate director of the Provost's Office Rob Nelson.

"Where he was really great was in that room full of Penn students."