The University has a bright idea for making students who live in off-campus apartments feel safer.

The Division of Public Safety is working with other University officials to implement phase four of the University City Lighting Project, which involves collaborating with the area's landlords to add extra lighting outside apartments and in the areas around off-campus housing.

The project will extend from 40th to 43rd streets and from Baltimore Avenue to Chestnut Street.

Last night, University officials, along with UA representatives and lighting developers, toured areas on Locust and Spruce streets with samples of different types of lighting that were installed in the last several weeks.

For houses with front yards, the project involves light posts; for houses without front yards, lighting will be mounted directly onto the houses and apartments themselves.

Executive Vice President Craig Carnaroli, who participated in the tour, stressed the program's ability to help foster a sense of security among students who live off campus.

"We have to recognize that 30 percent of our undergraduates live here in the community," he said. "We should be providing an environment where there is a feeling of safety."

While implementation depends partly on the time it takes to receive the lights from the manufacturers, Vice President for Public Safety Maureen Rush said she hopes the initiative will be completed by the middle of next semester.

The University will finance part of the initiative and plans to ask local landlords to provide matching contributions.

Ed Datz, the executive director of real estate, said major landlords in the area have been contacted with information about the program.

While they have not yet worked out the details, Datz said he expects landlords in the area to be "very receptive" to the idea.

College sophomore Alec Webley, chairman of the UA safety committee, said the lighting project represents one of many ways DPS shows its dedication to protecting students.

"I'm continually impressed with how responsive DPS is to student concerns," he said. "I know students who live from 40th to 43rd streets are going to benefit from this program."