While violent crime on Penn's campus has largely decreased this year, some property crimes, like burglary and bike theft, have risen significantly in 2008.

Violent crimes, such as robberies and assaults, are down 42 percent for the year, according to the Division of Public Safety. This trend held for September, with six violent offenses reported this year, down from 12 in the same month in 2007.

The overall crime rate in the Penn Patrol Zone dropped 2 percent compared to 2007 through the end of September.

But not all areas of crime have decreased. Burglaries on campus saw a 94-percent jump - there have been 64 burglaries reported so far this year, up from 33 in 2007.

Twelve burglaries were reported this September, up from just two during that month last year.

Vice President for Public Safety Maureen Rush attributed this significant increase to a chain of burglaries in fraternity houses in recent weeks.

"Clearly people are not locking their doors and windows," Rush said. "It's a crime of opportunity, and we're giving people the opportunity when we leave the doors and windows open."

Rush said Penn Police is investigating the burglaries, though no suspects have been arrested at this point.

She added that Penn Police is working with liaisons from campus fraternities as well as the Office of Fraternity and Sorority Affairs to ensure that house residents know what safety precautions to take.

Another area that has seen a dramatic increase is bike thefts, which rose 42 percent this year. Ninety-two bike thefts were reported this year, compared to 65 in 2007.

Rush said a factor in this increase is the use of cable locks to secure bicycles, rather than the stronger kryptonite locks.

Retail theft decreased by 1 percent for the year - there were 81 retail thefts reported in 2008, compared to 82 in 2007. But in September, 12 retail thefts were reported, up from two in 2007.

Rush attributed those numbers to the unstable economic climate. She said the largest number of retail thefts happened at Fresh Grocer, where people steal food or other home items.

A summary of crime statistics for the year to date:

One homicide was reported both this year and last year.

Total robberies decreased from 59 last year to 31 this year.

Aggravated assaults decreased from 14 in 2007 to eight in 2008.

Simple assaults dropped from 29 last year to 20 this year.

Forcible sex offenses decreased from 12 last year to six this year.

Burglaries rose from 33 last year to 64 this year.

No arsons were reported this year, as opposed to one in 2007.

Auto thefts dropped from eight in 2007 to six in 2008.

Theft from cars decreased from 105 last year to 81 this year.

Bike theft increased from 65 last year to 92 this year.

Theft from buildings increased from 136 in 2007 to 193 in 2008.

Retail theft decreased from 82 last year to 81 in 2008.