YouTube-addicts beware - more distractions are on their way.

The video-streaming Web site is in the process of loading several full-length episodes of TV shows such as Star Trek, Beverly Hills 90210 and MacGyver onto the site.

This is a test run of YouTube's new "theater format," which features higher video quality and longer selections than the usual YouTube clips, and the player dims the rest of the applications open on screen.

There's a catch, though - the full-length shows will include 30-second ads that can't be skipped. YouTube's shorter clips do not include video advertisements.

"This advertising format will only appear on premium content where you are most comfortable seeing such ads," YouTube said in its blog post announcing the new project.

The post added that such "premium content" would be clearly marked on the site with a filmstrip symbol.

Wharton marketing professor Eric Bradlow said the shift to online advertising through videos has opened up many potential ways to reach customers.

"At the moment, no one knows exactly what will work," Bradlow wrote in an e-mail. "However, there is definitely 'gold in them hills,' in my opinion."

Marketing professor Jonah Berger said the test run is a wise move for YouTube and the television companies who are releasing their shows.

"With people moving to watch on the Web, TV viewership may be down, so this is a good way to follow the proverbial eyeballs," said Berger. He stated that as long as the test goes well, the number and variety of shows available on YouTube will likely increase.

Berger also added that he expects advertisements through YouTube to target younger people - such as students - since young viewers make up the bulk of YouTube's viewership.

Students said they're looking forward to watching television shows on YouTube.

"There's one show I have to watch online every week, and it's such a problem to find one with good quality," said College sophomore Dina Bleckman.

Although YouTube is featuring mostly older programming, she said she still expects a good number of viewers to access those videos.

She added that the mid-show advertisements would not be a problem, and "Most people can just go do something else for 30 seconds."