Philadelphia's art scene will descend upon Love Park tomorrow afternoon for a six-hour melange of mixed-media art, live music and dancing.

The event, called "Canvas Clash," will feature eight different groups of artists, three bands, a DJ and a photo-journalism exhibition.

Chris Anderson, executive producer of Canvas Clash, said the event's primary focus is the visual art pieces.

"I think what we're doing is fairly unique," he said, noting that visual art is often relegated to a secondary role behind music. "You don't see live art showcased in this setting often."

Each group has approximately four hours to create a piece of art reflecting the theme of the event, "Change." Anderson said the theme was meant to be vague.

"We thought we'd keep it broad and leave it open for the artists to pick what change meant to them - what they think are some changes that should be worked on," he explained.

To Nick Zegel, one artist participating in Canvas Clash, the theme calls for artists to "bring overlooked issues to people's attention." Zegel, who originally heard about Canvas Clash online, successfully pitched his sustainability-themed piece to the event's organizers. "Recycling things from our past is an easy way to simplify life and shrink your footprint as an individual living in the 21st century," he said.

Artists will work on what the event's Web site calls "unusual canvases." For example, one group attempting to elucidate the problem of female homelessness will work on cardboard boxes. All sorts of artistic media will be featured, ranging from spray paint to fabrics.

Three bands - The Hustle, The Peace Creeps and POPO - will provide musical support throughout the event.

Artists will work until 6 p.m., when their pieces will be moved in front of the Love statue and DJ Static will perform.

Canvas Clash, now in its fourth installment, was originally held on top of Whole Foods on South Street. Previous themes included "Stop The Violence," "Educate The Youth" and "A Greener Philadelphia."

"We try as much as possible to promote some sort of cause or some sort of important topic," said Anderson.

The event is free and will run from 2 to 8 p.m. tomorrow at Love Park, located at 15th and Arch streets.