l0n273jn
El Construction between 46th and 49th along market st Credit: Andrew Gardner

After almost eight years and seemingly endless delays, SEPTA's $710 million Market Street Elevated Reconstruction Project is nearly finished.

The project replaces 11,000 feet of El support structure from 44th Street to Millbourne Street, renovates six stations and includes the construction of two new train control buildings.

Begun in 2000, the El construction in West Philadelphia is the finale for a series of renovations on SEPTA's entire Market-Frankford line, which carries 47 million passengers a year. The project was originally due for completion in 2007.

SEPTA spokesman Gary Fairfax said unexpected setbacks pushed the deadline back.

"One of the issues was certainly that material costs have gone up over a period of time," he said, adding that the bidding process also caused delays.

However, the end is near. Last weekend, the remaining remnants of the original El structure - which was in place for 100 years - were cleared away.

The weekend also marked the end of major shutdowns as a result of construction. Although SEPTA says several weekend shutdowns will continue during the fall and into the spring, weekday commuters will no longer be affected.

This is good news not only for commuters, but also for businesses around the El; several have taken a financial blow during construction due to traffic detours and fewer customers during shutdowns.

SEPTA is working to support these local businesses with a promotional program called the El Shopping Zone, Fairfax said.

The program features shops and businesses around the Market Street El in West Philadelphia on the radio show WURD 900AM. It allows personalized ads and updates about the stores.

"I think it's great," Fairfax said. "Our construction is in the footprint of a major business area and that's our outreach to the merchants there. Programs like the Shopping Zone are a real benefit to them and help a lot to increase sales."

The reconstructed El will improve the appearance of West Philadelphia, said Lori Brennan, University City District spokeswoman.

"With station upgrades, the improvements will not only enhance the gateways into and out of the district but offer riders a more pleasant overall experience," she wrote in an e-mail.