Boycotting the U. of Perelman

To the Editor:

The renaming of Logan Hall to Claudia Cohen Hall is really an outrage because it was done without forethought. Perelman donates his money and expects something named after him or a member of his family.

Why not rename the school as University of Perelman instead? Because that is where it's headed with Perelman's money.

I'm sure Benjamin Franklinis spinning over in his grave over this.

But I'm also sure that my sister and other alumni will fondly refer to it as Logan Hall r gardless of the name change. It doesn't make sense.

Sylvia Marciniak

Passing down the President's raise

To the Editor:

I am very optimistic that with the 41% raise Penn President received, she will realize that even one million does not buy what it used to anymore.

Hopefully, she will also find the shame and decency to extend the courtesy to all lecturers from Penn by giving them a similar raise - especially those making less than 50K. And that's per year - not 100K a month like Gutmann is making.

Just think of that, Amy dear - could you make a living during an entire year with about half of what you earn each month? I just don't think so.

I know some Penn lecturers living by the ghettos of Philadelphia who are thinking of moving away because their neighbors just cannot stand these new Ivy League poor. After all, if you are poor, you're poor. Don't try to misrepresent your poverty by hanging your Ivy League diplomas on the wall.

As Mark Twain once wrote, "honest poverty is a gem that even a King might be proud to call his own, but I wish to sell out. I have sported that kind of jewelry long enough."

So I leave with a challenge to Mrs. President. Try to live with my salary for just one month and you will understand that it's no use to push the West Philly poor too far away from campus.

That is only going to make us late for work.

Glauco Ortolano

Lecturer of Portuguese

Joseph H. Lauder Institute of Management & International Studies