University City has received excellent marks in all subjects on its 2008 District Report Card.

According to the report, in the last 10 years UCD has seen a 20-percent decrease in crime , a 16.5-percent increase in employment, improvements in pedestrian lighting and numerous green initiatives. Additionally, it has $4.5 billion invested in development.

"University City remains an economic engine for the area," said Lewis Wendell, UCD executive director. Wendell cited new developments such as the Radian and the Science Center as examples of "mixed-use" buildings - buildings that combine retail and residential or office buildings.

Wendell said that Penn is leading an "enormous number" of new real estate development projects, including the Penn Connects plan, the Annenberg Public Policy Center, the Roberts Proton Therapy Center, Penn Park Phase I and the Radian.

"Penn is the largest contributor to UCD," he said.

Wendell added that new green initiatives in the district include a 34,000 square-foot green roof on the Science Center building, a 12,000 square-foot green roof on the Radian and 17,000 square feet of porous pavement on 32nd and Powelton.

"There was a time when the local neighborhood was marked with high crime, vacant store fronts and few people on the street, day or night," wrote Vice President of Facilities Anne Papageorge in an e-mail.

Papageorge added that recent redevelopment has altered this image, enhancing Penn's popularity as an academic institution.