Despite the heightened political excitement over the upcoming Pennsylvania primary, Penn's own student government candidates aren't getting as much of the spotlight.

Students running for positions on the 2008-2009 student government mingled in Houston Hall yesterday evening, surrounded by free pizza, pretzels, popcorn and Vitamin Water, at the annual "Get Out the Vote" election kickoff. Their faces appeared on a computer playing candidate video statements.

But the candidates at the event outnumbered the students.

"Get Out the Vote," usually draws a fair number of passersby on College Green during the first day of voting. The event was supposed to be held at 37th St. and Locust Walk this year, but due to inclement weather, it took place at Houston Hall instead.

In addition, it was moved from the daytime to the evening before the first day of voting to better accommodate candidates' schedules.

College freshman Sejal Shah said she thought the location change was one reason for the low student turnout. Nevertheless she added that the event and election process could be better advertised.

"It's a good idea to have a place to meet and learn about the candidates, but there aren't that many students here," who are not candidates, said Mariana Alcocer, who is running for Class of 2010 Wharton Representative and the Undergraduate Assembly.

A total of 73 unique candidates are running for 82 positions - some are running for multiple positions - on the 2008-2009 student government. There are 61 vacancies to be filled.

Voting will end at 5 p.m. next Tuesday.

Penn students aren't just focusing on student government elections this spring, though - they're also gearing up for the presidential elections at the same time.

"A few candidates mentioned change when they were being filmed [for candidate statements], which ties in with Obama's campaign," said Colleen Donovan, vice chairwoman for elections of the Nominations and Elections Committee. "Because we have a lot of new people running this year, I think they're going to be playing on that hugely," she added.

College and Wharton junior Wilson Tong, who is running for re-election to the UA, said that this year he will focus on reaching out to students who have not voted in the past.

"I think that's also part of Obama's strategy - to reach out to young voters who might be seen as apathetic to politics," he said.

Some candidates are even incorporating national politics into their own campaigns - literally.

"My various posters try to satirize the candidates' campaigns," said College freshman Alec Webley, who is running for the UA.

Webley's slogans include "Change UA can believe in" and "Right to be a UA Rep on Day 1."

Not all students agreed that national politics would be a positive influence on interest in campus elections, though.

"I actually kind of think more people will be distracted by the presidential elections," Shah said.

Visit The Daily Pennsylvanian and the Nominations and Elections Committees Candidate Center to see profiles and video statements from each candidate.