11m68t5p
Penn gymnasts compete against U. of Rhode Island Wednesday. Stephanie Ortiz '09 competes on the balance beam. Credit: Matthew Kolasa

Since January, Penn gymnastics has battled its way through four dual-meets, two tri-meets, two tournaments and one quad-meet without ever coming out on top.

And now, in the last regular-season meet of the year, the Quakers finally picked up that elusive win. They defeated Rhode Island last night at Hutchinson Gym, 190.2-188.075.

"This meet was very important, especially for the seniors, since it was their last home game," head coach John Ceralde said. "It was a also good mental boost and is getting us prepared for ECACs."

For a team that last year compiled a 9-1 home record and finished second at the Eastern College Athletic Conference Championships in Ceralde's first season, year two did not go according to plan.

"This team is actually stronger than last year's team, skillwise," said Ceralde. "It's just that injuries prevented us from putting things together."

Of the 12 women on the roster, five missed the entire season due to serious injuries, including a torn ACL. Six of the remaining seven women have suffered through minor injuries.

The meet against Rhode Island was tight, with the Quakers entering the fourth and final event trailing by 0.3 points. But Penn saved its best for last, scoring 48.025 points, the highest event total of the meet.

Junior Jordan Brewer won the all-around, scoring 38.275 points, while star sophomore Marissa Rosen won two events, the vault and the floor. This season she holds the team's top scores in all four events and the all-around.

On Senior Night, co-captains Kim Chin and Stephanie Ortiz also closed out their gymnastic careers with wins. Chin won the bars event, scoring 9.775 points, while Ortiz took the top spot in the beam, with 9.725 points.

"I'm definitely going to miss competing with all those girls. They are so dedicated," Ortiz said. "It's bittersweet to know it's all going to end soon."

Time is also winding down for Rhode Island's gymnastics program, which will be dropped next year.

Penn and Rhode Island both compete in the ECAC Championships in nine days.

"It's a clean slate for everybody," Ceralde said. "Whoever comes prepared that day will take home the trophy."

He and his gymnasts believe that every team is in the mix right now because they have all scored in the 190s. Last year, Towson's score of 193.650 was good enough for the title.

"Every team we've gone up against has proven they can win, but I think we've also proven in the last couple of meets this year that we also have a very good chance of winning," Ortiz said.