How do you say Locust Walk in Taiwanese?

Some of Penn's 3,484 international students may be able to tell you.

Penn ranked No. 10 out of 20 schools for hosting the highest number of foreign students in the academic year 2006-2007, according to a report published yesterday by the Institute of International Education.

The University shares the spot with Boston University.

The report comes as little surprise, considering that Penn raised its foreign student enrollment by 9.2 percent last year, bringing Penn's total percentage of international students to 18.9 percent.

"The report is important in underscoring the position that Penn enjoys among its national and indeed Ivy League peer group in relation to our success in recruiting international students," University Provost Ron Daniels said.

Beyond Penn, foreign enrollment nationwide is approaching the 2002 peak level for the first time since the visa-application process became more difficult following Sept. 11th.

Daniels attributed the University's high standing to the "broad and growing appeal of a Penn education in the international community," as well as to increased initiatives to make Penn a welcoming environment for international students.

Much of this reputation has to do with effective word of mouth.

Trixie Canivel, a College freshman from the Philippines, and Akin Odeleye, a College senior from Australia, both say they relied on peer recommendations when it came to choosing schools.

The University has an "active" recruitment program that travels to international countries, Interm Dean of Admissions Eric Kaplan wrote in an e-mail.

Penn's peer institutions are also paying attention to the University's success.

Director of International Student and Scholar Services Rodolfo Altamirano said other Ivy League schools have approached him about the variety of programs that Penn offers international students.

The ISS has formed several groups, including the Intercultural Leadership Program, the International Student Advisory Board and the International Partners Outreach Group, which work in tandem to increase the quality of a Penn education for international students.

The ISS also offers an international-student orientation, designed to suit the specific social and academic needs of international students. The group offers a free ride to IKEA to supplement dorm rooms and help managing the visa application process.

"The moment [international students] arrive here, they are already part of the environment," Altamirano said.