A female Temple University student was physically and sexually assaulted earlier this month inside one of Temple's main academic buildings, raising questions about the role of camera surveillance and open access in university buildings.

Between 6 and 7 p.m., while classes were still in session, an unknown male pulled the female into a bathroom, where he choked, sexually assaulted and beat her, leaving the student with a concussion and facial wounds.

Many Temple buildings, including Anderson Hall, the building in question, require a university-issued card to enter, but some students have raised concerns that the school's buildings are too easily accessible to ensure safety.

Temple spokesman Ray Betzner said the school is increasing security in many of its buildings. At Penn, Division of Public Safety officials say that, despite the incident, they don't plan to revamp their security measures in academic buildings on campus.

Currently, each school within the University creates the rules for security in its own buildings, but almost all academic buildings allow free access throughout the day and restrict access at night.

Vice President for Public Safety Maureen Rush said that, with the heavy foot traffic during peak class hours, requiring ID to enter all buildings would be cumbersome and inefficient.

Instead, techniques such as increased lighting, alarm-notification systems in nearly all bathrooms on campus, security guards and evening card access are used to reduce and monitor crime, said School of Arts Sciences Vice Dean for Finance and Administration Ramin Sedehi, who helps oversee security in various SAS buildings.

Allison Kiss, program director for Security on Campus, Inc., a nonprofit organization that monitors security on campuses, agreed that restricting access to buildings doesn't necessarily ensure student safety.

"Having an open campus during the day is not a detriment to security," she said, adding that it instead sends a positive message of inclusion to the surrounding community.

Cameras inside buildings are also an issue, given that Temple is currently using cameras from inside Anderson Hall to aid its investigation.

DPS has over 80 outdoor cameras across Penn's campus, but individual schools have opted not to place surveillance in most academic buildings.

"Security cameras can range anywhere from being highly effective to being completely ineffective, even so far as providing a false sense of security," Sedehi argued.

Students at Penn have also voiced a maintained sense of security on campus despite the nearby attack.

"I think that it just sort of makes you aware of the situation and keeps students up to date on the fact that they have to be extra careful about their surroundings, and when they are out," Wharton junior Anna Harris said.

Rush said calls reporting suspicious activity have led to arrests, and if students do see abnormal behavior, they should call Penn Police at 215-573-3333.