ob15d0t1
The Engineering Student Activities Council hosted the 2nd annual Mr/ Mrs SEAS competition in the Harold Prince Theater. Contestant James Wong wears a Skirkanich Hall costume for the E-Wear round. Credit: Neka Thomas

"He has the knack . characterized by extreme intuition about all things mechanical and electrical and utter social ineptitude. He'll never lead a normal life - he'll be an engineer."

With this Dilbert quote, the second annual Mr. and Ms. SEAS competition, which aims to find the most talented and knowledgeable of all the students in the School of Engineering and Applied Science, began.

Three male and two female students were each evaluated on their performance in three rounds - "Engineering Wear," SEAS trivia and talent - at last night's contest in Harold Prince Theater.

To start off the talent round, Engineering junior Sarah Casey amused the crowd with balloon animals in a fish costume to symbolize SEAS, while fellow Engineering junior Steve Minnihan entertained with humorous psychic visions.

James Wong, another Engineering junior, played "When the Saints Go Marching In" on water-filled glasses, and Engineering freshman Amanda Levy displayed her skills at hula-hoop dancing.

But it was Engineering sophomore Daniel White who brought down the house with his original rap, "My SEAS Backpack."

The "Engineering Wear" part of the competition showcased many typical Engineering stereotypes.

Minnihan, for example, had his "date" jacket prepared with pockets full of engineering jokes and pick-up lines to help alleviate awkward social situations. Wong dressed up as Skirkanich Hall.

In the trivia round, it was White who again impressed the judges with his knowledge of SEAS trivia. He answered a majority of the difficult questions without pause, from what ENIAC stands for to the year the Towne Building was built.

The final category, "The Drilling," consisted of short questions to the contestants provided by audience members beforehand.

When asked, "If you could be anyone on TV, who would it be?" Casey replied, "I'd be Spongebob Squarepants because I live in the SEAS."

To the same question, Wong said, "I'd be Jack Bauer - people tell me I'm a lot like him."

Levy said she's so good looking because "I don't go out much, so I don't get wrinkles, like most people who are out in the sun."

Last year's Mr. SEAS, Engineering senior Jareau Wade, came on stage to pass the crown to Mr. SEAS 2007 - White; Casey was named Ms. SEAS.

Casey was excited about her win, saying that, "Now I'm going to be the best engineer I can be."

Engineering sophomore Kiersten Craig enjoyed the pageant. "It was a lot of fun."