Friday's men's basketball game against Dartmouth College was conspicuously different.

Not because of the Quakers' huge margin of victory, or even because of Ibby Jaaber's sweet dunk, but because of some slight changes to the half-time performance.

In an effort to promote school spirit, all four undergraduate class presidents participated in a half-time free-throw shoot-out as part of the first annual Clash of the Classes.

For $10, Clash of the Classes participants received a package that included a ticket to the game, a T-shirt, food and a drink; season-ticket holders only had to pay $5.

Based on ticket sales, student-government officials said about 850 students took advantage of the new event.

Clash of the Classes was organized by the Undergraduate Assembly and the Class Boards, with the help of Penn Traditions, Penn Athletics and the Red & Blue Crew.

While event organizers planned to have members of each class wearing different-colored T-shirts and sitting in distinct sections, it was difficult to tell where each class began and ended.

That is, except for the freshman class, which was seated across the court in an area typically reserved for the opposing team's fans.

In addition to shooting hoops - or at least trying to - the class presidents competed for points in trivia and free-throw contests.

But whether Clash of the Classes succeeded in fostering more school spirit is up for debate.

"I wanted to see some more school spirit, and it wasn't really there . especially in the freshman section because we were on the other side," Wharton freshman Tanya Louneva said.

She added that she and her friends didn't use their food coupons because the lines were too long.

College junior and UA member Jason Karsh, who worked on the event, said that, while he was pleased with the night, attendance could have been higher.

"We can definitely do much better. . We can fill the Palestra," which was about half full, he said.

Based on ticket sales, the senior class was the most well-represented, with between 430 and 460 seniors at the event, which counted as part of Feb Club.

The juniors followed behind with an estimated 300 students in attendance, and the sophomore and freshman classes brought up the rear with about 100 students each.