College senior Bryce LeFort has been suspended by the University for the spring and fall 2007 semesters for violating the University's Code of Student Conduct, according to a suspension agreement shown to The Daily Pennsylvanian.

The person who gave the DP access to the document has requested anonymity due to the agreement's confidential nature. The suspension came in response to LeFort's involvement with the Oct. 5 attack on College senior Andrew Scharf with a beer bottle, which resulted in extensive damage to Scharf's right ear.

"I am proposing to you terms for resolution of this matter," the statement reads in part. "In accordance with this agreement, you are to: Be suspended from the University for one year, beginning with the Spring 2007 semester and continuing through the end of the Fall 2007 semester. You will not be permitted to return to the University until the Spring 2008 semester."

The agreement was issued on Dec. 21 and signed by LeFort on Jan. 8. The disciplinary record created by the suspension agreement is permanent, according to the document.

LeFort did not return repeated requests for comment.

In addition to the two-semester suspension, the agreement states that LeFort is required to comply with the requirements of a plea agreement reached between LeFort and the prosecution.

These stipulations include apologizing to the student for the assault, performing 100 hours of community service, completing an anger-management program approved by the Department of Probation and being held responsible for the restitution for all out-of-pocket medical expenses paid in relation to the incident.

In a hearing last Tuesday, LeFort pled guilty to misdemeanor simple assault and reckless endangerment charges. Philadelphia lower-court judge Lydia Kirkland approved the above conditions, which were agreed upon by LeFort and the case's prosecutor, Carol Sweeney, with input given by Scharf and his family, Scharf said.

In an interview last week, Scharf said that he was happy with the punishments imposed upon LeFort.

"I think the results speak for themselves," he said.

Scharf added that the University had conducted an independent investigation of the incident and that the suspension agreement was separate from the criminal proceedings in the case.

"The University suspended [LeFort] on their own volition," Scharf said.

The Office of Student Conduct declined to comment on the matter, citing privacy issues.

Scharf said he has not yet considered whether he will bring a civil suit against LeFort.