q9lb981s
Harvard guard Drew Housman defends Ibrahim Jaaber during Penn's win at the Palestra last year.

In the November 13 Associated Press college basketball poll, Harvard received a single top-25 vote. And Harvard remains the only Ivy team to receive a vote this year.

Incongruent with their national nod, the Crimson was picked to finish seventh in the preseason Ivy League basketball poll. Observers could be excused for giving Harvard that spot - Brian Cusworth, a seven-foot center and a cornerstone of the team, exhausted his final semester of eligibility in the fall and will not play this spring. Due to Harvard's finals schedule, he will play one more game, when Dartmouth visits on Friday.

The senior had been a force on the floor, leading the team in points, rebounds, free throws and blocks, and ranking second in assists. Cusworth was one of the few true centers in the Ivy League, receiving an honorable mention All-Ivy nod last year.

While Cusworth's presence is hard to replicate, Harvard has four forwards who are 6-foot-8, including junior starter Evan Harris and sixth man Brad Unger. Both players should see more time along with freshman Kenyon Churchwell, who currently averages four minutes a game.

With the departure of Cusworth, the demolition of one of last year's most dominant frontcourts is complete. First team All-Ivy honoree, Matt Stehle, graduated last year. Harvard now has two remaining seniors, but only guard Jim Goffredo plays a significant role on the court.

Though the frontcourt is depleted, the Crimson still sport a talented backcourt with Goffredo and sophomore point guard Drew Housman. The two contribute 28.8 points per game, 4.3 assists and 2.7 steals.

"Even without Cusworth, they have some young, talented frontcourt players and a very talented backcourt," Penn coach Glen Miller said.

This may end up a rebuilding year as coach Frank Sullivan figures out the roles of his five sophomores and six freshmen. The two juniors on the team play a combined 24.9 minutes per game, but contribute little else statistically.

The Crimson's losing record of 7-8 includes an Ivy loss to Dartmouth in overtime. The team is 2-4 at home and 5-4 on the road.

Harvard's strength is its shooting. The team as a whole is shooting 44.3 percent from the field and 74.8 percent from the line. They draw fouls well, getting to the line 25.9 times per game. The team also tends to play better in the second half, scoring an average of 40 during that period versus 32 in the first.

Last year Penn played two very different games against Harvard. The Quakers went to Cambridge and dominated the game, winning 81-68, as Ibrahim Jaaber and Mark Zoller scored 23 and 26 points, respectively. But the Crimson posed a formidable challenge when they visited the Palestra, almost forcing overtime and eventually losing 74-71. Cusworth and Stehle scored a combined 37 points in that game.

Harvard will visit Penn first on Feb. 10, and the Quakers will go to Lavietes Pavilion on Feb. 23.