m8606oo3
The 2400 block of Walnut Street was the site of one of four alleged sexual assaults and robberies that have occurred in the area east of campus in the past week. A fifth robbery that officials believe to be related occurred outside of Franklin Field on th

Police believe that one individual may be responsible for a slew of sexual assaults and robberies of women that have recently occurred in the area east of Penn's campus, as well as one outside Franklin Field.

At least four women have reported being sexually assaulted and robbed east of the Schuylkill River since Nov. 21, and a 21-year-old woman was allegedly robbed - but not assaulted - at 3200 Spruce St. at around 7 a.m on Thanksgiving.

Because of the Penn case's proximity to the other incidents and similarities between the description and method of the attacker, police are investigating the possibility that the case is related to the four others even though no sexual assault occurred.

The first incident reportedly occurred on the 1700 block of Folsom Street at about 7:15 p.m. on Wednesday. The 55-year-old victim, who was approaching her vehicle, was allegedly robbed at gunpoint and then molested before the suspect fled the scene.

In addition to the incident near Franklin Field, two more women reported being attacked Thanksgiving morning. One was allegedly robbed and sexually assaulted around 4 a.m. near the 2400 block of Walnut Street, while another reportedly faced a similar attack at about 6:15 a.m. at 2500 Spruce St.

According to Philadelphia police, the most recent attack was around 3 a.m. on Sunday. The victim, a 31-year-old woman, was reportedly assaulted and robbed on the 1800 block of Pine Street.

The assailant in the assault-robbery cases was described as a black man in his thirties with a thin build and light-to-medium complexion, who is between 5-foot-8 and 5-10. In his suspect sketch, the man is wearing a dark-colored jacket and a skull or ski cap.

The suspect is reported by victims to have approached them when they were walking alone, asked for money, and then reached under the victim's dress or into her pocket to sexually assault her.

Police said in a press conference that other attacks may also be related to these incidents and that at least six more cases around central and Southwest Philadelphia are currently under investigation.

In light of these crimes, Philadelphia and Penn Police have warned students - and especially women - to avoid walking alone in isolated areas.

Penn officials specifically said that police have increased their presence in the area.

Overall, sexual assault is down in the city from previous years. So far this year, there have been 107 assault cases reported, compared to 145 in 2005 and 159 in 2004, according to Philadelphia police records.