Misplaced loyalty To the Editor: Adam Cohen's column ("The future is bright for a Democratic America," DP, 11/16/06) is laced with the same brand of ignorance and partisan rhetoric that permeates contemporary politics in America. First, he lists recent ethics scandals - interestingly omitting Democratic ones. I find it hard to forget Democratic Rep. William Jefferson's $90,000 stash in his freezer. He then ignores the role of Congress in foreign policy, as if this Penn Law student has forgotten the Constitution, specifically Congress' power to declare war, ratify treaties and confirm presidential appointments. (Does the name Bolton ring a bell?) More disgusting, Cohen suggests that Democrats should abandon efforts to deal with the situation in Iraq, as to not put the Democratic Party in a precarious situation. With his hideous Titanic analogy, Cohen disregards the lives of Americans and Iraqis, not to mention the conflict's regional implications - all in the name of party loyalty. He then follows with an unusually optimistic - and likely unrealistic - analysis detailing how Democrats may remain in power. Cohen's position is a pristine example of what's wrong with American politics: loyalty to a party instead of loyalty to America.

Josh Stanfield College sophomore