University President Amy Gutmann announced a $106.5 million renovation program for improving the three Superblock high rises yesterday.

Students who live in the high rises -- which house 43 percent of on-campus residents -- can expect upgraded heating and air conditioning, new flooring, brighter corridor lighting and improved kitchens and bathrooms if the plan is approved.

Sixteen and a half million dollars worth of renovations will take place during the summer alone if Gutmann's recommendation is OK'ed by the Board of Trustees in May.

The total project would be completed over four years and include improvements to building infrastructure and student room conditions.

"There will be both much better infrastructure and much more welcoming space for our students," Gutmann said.

Residents have complained about both cosmetic and structural problems in many of the high rise dorms, including the quality of the kitchens and bathrooms.

The buildings' infrastructure -- including pipes and heating -- has not been replaced since they were first built in the 1970s.

The renovations are expected to begin with Harnwell College House this summer and will continue in Harrison College House next summer and in the soon-to-be Rodin College House -- currently Hamilton College House -- in the summer of 2008.

Lounges would be placed on alternating floors in Harnwell this summer. Depending on student reaction, lounges could also be installed in the other high rises.

Money for the project will come from a variety of sources, including money from College Houses and Academic Services' own budget, revenue from summer programs and money set aside for facilities renovations, said Bonnie Gibson, vice president for budget and management analysis.

"Every time we put money to one project it certainly means there are other projects we can't do," Gibson said. "We have determined that this project is very high on our priority list."

Although renovations to the high rises costing almost $80 million were completed last summer, Gutmann said that they only focused on the exterior of the building, while these renovations will be internal, for residents' "quality of life."

MGA Partners, the same architect which designed renovations on the high rises over the past four years, will make the new renovation plans.

Penn's Facilities and Real Estate Services will manage the project and is responsible for hiring firms to complete the work.

"We'll work ... to minimize any disruptions and impacts on students and staff and faculty," said Darrin Reazor, director of design and construction for Penn Facilities.

The decision to renovate the buildings came after hearing that students wanted change and taking several tours of the high rises herself, Gutmann said.

The renovations must still be approved by the University trustees, but Gutmann expects they will support the project.

Students living in the high rises said they saw the need for renovations.

"Anything that helps to fix the place up would be great," College junior and Harnwell resident Amanda Rewers said.