After a series of unofficial caucuses, the field of candidates vying for the state's Republican nomination for governor has been whittled down to two.

Former Lt. Gov. Bill Scranton and pro-football hall-of-famer Lynn Swann are competing for the Republican State Committee's endorsement. Committee members will vote for the official GOP candidate Feb. 11.

The winner of the vote will face incumbent Democratic Gov. Ed Rendell, a Penn graduate, in the gubernatorial election on Nov. 7.

Prior to the endorsement vote, six regional caucuses -- informal groups of party members -- measure local opinion. Although Swann has had the most success in the caucuses -- he recently captured 22 of 29 votes in the Northwestern Caucus -- the caucuses are unofficial and technically devoid of any weight when it comes time for the committee to endorse a candidate.

"It's just a chance for the different regions of state to kind of get together in an informal setting on their own -- feel out where everybody kind of is," said Jeff Mannion, a Republican State Committee spokesman. "It's not a binding thing."

Swann played for the Pittsburgh Steelers in four Super Bowls during his NFL career, which began in 1974. Since leaving football he has covered sports for ABC, acted as national spokesman for Big Brothers Big Sisters of America and chaired the President's Council on Physical Fitness and Sports. His bid for governor is his first foray into politics.

Scranton served as lieutenant governor in the 1980s during Dick Thornburgh's two terms as governor.

"Bill has a tremendous resume heading into this campaign," campaign spokesman Tim Kelley said. "He has terrific experience in both the executive side of public service and executive level work in private sectors."

Mannion said he is confident that either candidate will run a formidable campaign against Rendell, who is up for a second term.

"We have two very strong candidates, both of whom bring a lot to the table," Mannion said.

"There are a lot of things that Governor Rendell has done that show very clearly it's time for a change," he said. "We're looking forward to the campaign."

Kelley said Scranton would "love to come and meet the students at the University of Pennsylvania."

Jess Smyth, the Penn College Democrats president and a College senior, however, said there is significant support for Rendell at Penn.

"Ed Rendell has done amazing things not only for Pennsylvania but for the city of Philadelphia," Smyth said. "It's very possible that some Penn students who are Republicans will show interest in voting for him."