Eleventh and Washington is home to a Thai and Vietnamese oasis in Philadelphia. Among the ethnic supermarkets and shops is an enjoyable restaurant called Cafe de Laos.

The restaurant features a dual-menu of Laotian and Thai cuisine. When I visited with a date we only partook of the Laotian food. Most items on the menu are palatable to any eater accustomed to South Asian cuisine. However, there are a few entrees that I was simply afraid to eat, such as the ant egg soup.

The ambiance of the room is perfect for the food being served. Dark wood panels cover the walls and native art provides flashes of gold, red and muted earth tones. The subtle tones of a string instrument pervade throughout the room, but are easily lost amongst the buzz of the customers.

We started with a papaya salad (Som Tum Pu Dong) that featured salted crab, string beans and sliced cherry tomatoes ($6.95). This salad was the most unique taste of the night. It packed a sweet and spicy taste that lingered in my mouth. It was cool but somewhat unnerving at the same time.

The waiter, who was very knowledgeable and helpful, did warn us that he does not usually recommend this papaya salad to those unfamiliar with Laotian food. At the same time, he was the only waiter, so it was sometimes difficult to get his attention.

For dinner, we shared two dishes. The Om Laos ($9.95) with catfish is a green curry with kaffir lime, chili, shallot, garlic, mixed vegetables and rice powder. A plate of rice is necessary to sop up the soup-like quality of the curry. It was very smooth but the tastes were a little too subtle.

Our second dish, the Royal Lam ($12.95) had a bolder taste and more exciting presentation. The dish featured a sweet sticky rice in a hollowed bamboo branch. On each side of this branch were barbecue chicken and slices of beef jerky. In a small dish on the side, two dipping sauces were featured: a chili sauce and spicy sour sauce.

The vast majority of entrees are priced between nine and 13 dollars. Appetizers range between five and nine dollars. For dessert, we split a custard ($6.95). It was a great way to end our meal. The waiter brought out a dessert tray and recommended this custard. The two-and-a-half inch square was sweet but far from overwhelming.

The restaurant is BYO, but does serve flavored iced teas if you are looking for a drink to complement your meal. Overall, the experience was very enjoyable. You will not leave stuffed, but, rather, satisfied. The food is not served promptly, so expect to budget at least an hour and a half to properly enjoy the restaurant.