Long before she became the first lady of Britain, Cherie Booth had established herself as a prominent lawyer and human-rights specialist.

The wife of British Prime Minister Tony Blair spoke in College Hall last night as the Political Science Department's annual Anspach Lecturer. More than 200 students and faculty attended to hear her expound on American and European approaches to human-rights issues.

University President Amy Gutmann enthusiastically introduced Booth as a fellow alumna of the London School of Economics, from which Booth graduated with the highest first-class law degree.

Booth praised Penn as the "best place to speak" about human rights and international law. She added that three Penn alumni are currently on the staff of her husband's administration.

Although it was her first time visiting Penn, Booth said that the school is home to many Thouron scholars, participants in a prestigious British-American student-exchange program. She said this program "promotes British-American understanding and friendship."

Two Thouron scholars, Daniel Simon and Mark Walker, both second-year Wharton MBA students from England, attended the presentation because they had "heard much in the news about Booth and wanted to see her in person."

Booth's presentation accused America of deviating from international legal norms and suggested that the country is longer a firm leader in human rights. Specifically, she bemoaned the lack of support from the United States for the International Criminal Court.

During the question-and-answer session, Booth was stopped from speaking about former Iraqi dictator Saddam Hussein's trial by the moderator, who told the audience the topic was outside her jurisdiction.

Booth did say, however, that she is happy to see him in court.

College junior Feng Ye thought "it would be interesting to hear a female perspective" on a political area that she feels is mainly dominated by men.

Booth expressed in an interview that she is particularly passionate about women's rights.

Event organizer and Political Science professor Henry Teune was happy with the audience turnout and the presentation.

He said Booth was invited to be this year's lecturer because of her reputation in human rights and European studies and because she is "someone who would definitely appeal to a broad audience in the Penn community."