[Tony Lo/The Daily Pennsylvanian] Tulane University senior Brynne Sarter speaks of how the Penn community has supported Tulane students in an event sponsored by Penn's religious groups. Donations will be used to rebuild places of faith and worshi

University Chaplain William Gipson gently swayed his head in tune with a stirring reading of the Quran.

Although few attendees and participants of yesterday's interfaith response to Hurricane Katrina understood the actual words of Wharton sophomore Khalid Usmani's reading, the chant undoubtedly moved students and faculty members in the audience.

Members of faith-based student groups -- representing Catholics, Jews, Muslims and Hindus -- organized the event to raise money for Katrina-relief efforts and to provide students with a venue to share their religions as they cope with tragedy.

"We're here to emphasize common themes between all religions," Assistant Director of Hillel Mike Uram said. "Themes of compassion, charity and empathy with fellow human beings."

During the hour-long event, students shared personal experiences, songs, spoken-word poetry and passages from religious texts.

Gipson, a Louisiana native with four family members who live around the Gulf Coast, gave the keynote address shortly after the proceedings began. He thanked University President Amy Gutmann and Provost Ron Daniels for welcoming displaced students and offering paid leave to faculty who want to help in affected areas.

"This was a marvelous student-led effort to respond to the tragedy in the Gulf Coast," Gipson said. "I am honored to work with these students and to follow their lead in this interfaith event."

College junior Deena Feinstein said the event was successful because the speeches were both moving and sincere.

"It's an effective way to raise money and increase awareness," Engineering sophomore Mustafa Al-Ammar said. "But the awareness needs to be increased into the general student body."

While donations amounted to $360, an anonymous donor matched the collected funds --yielding $720.

Tulane sophomore Josh Solowiejezjk said Penn's concern for displaced students is astounding.

"Everyone has just been so proactive," Solowiejezjk said. "They have a genuine concern."