[Kenneth White/The Daily Pennsylvanian] The Marathon Grill at 40th and Walnut streets has been open for more than a year now. The University City location is the chain's newest.

Marathon Grill has established itself as a staple of University City dining during its first year and a half on 40th Street.

After the arrivals of the restaurant in June 2004 and the upstairs MarBar in September of that year, the location has become a popular campus hangout with its extensive menu, slick atmosphere and late hours.

"I knew for many years that I wanted to have a presence in University City," Marathon co-owner Cary Borish said. "I knew intuitively that it was a match."

Borish owns and operates the chain of seven restaurants with his brother Jon and his mother Sheryl -- who founded the business in 1984.

"It was literally a seven-stool burger joint," Borish said of his mother's original venture.

In 1990, the family entered into the Center City market, expanding its menu along the way.

"There's a joke among us that our menu just grows -- that it's like a weed. We can't bring ourselves to take anything off," he said. "We have a passion for fresh, simple food."

The University City location is the chain's newest restaurant. Both Borish and employees of the University City Marathon are incredibly pleased with the eatery's success.

"We're doing even better than we did last year," general manager Greg Morganthaler said. "We draw a good, diverse crowd."

Morganthaler hopes in the upcoming year to increase the lunch business, the restaurant's afternoon happy hour and the popularity of MarBar, which, Borish said, "was an original idea when we opened at Penn."

"There aren't a lot of nice bars," Morganthaler said. "We're trying to create an atmosphere that's a little different."

MarBar bartender Laurie Meyers thinks that the establishment "is a growing bar for the area," citing the comfortable atmosphere and various drink specials. "They're targeting college students much better," she added.

Morganthaler said that the majority of Marathon and Marbar employees are students at Penn, Drexel, the Art Institute of Philadelphia or other schools in the area.

"We really are trying to cater to the students," he said.

Borish mentioned that he found the atmosphere at the University City location especially welcoming.

"I feel that the students have received it so well and appreciate it," he said. "I just stand across the street and look at it and am so proud."

Wharton and Engineering senior Danny McCarthy thinks that the presence of Marathon and MarBar is "definitely an improvement" to the area.

McCarthy said that he could not remember what was at the 40th and Walnut streets intersection before.

The building sat empty while the Bridge: Cinema de Lux was being developed. Prior to that, it was a Burger King.

"I think there's been a lot more traffic in the area than there was before," he said. "Most of the times ... I've gone there, it's been a good time."

While McCarthy said that he has "had some issues with the timeliness of the delivery of food," he thinks that Marathon and MarBar are valuable additions overall to University City.

Borish just hopes to continue attracting patrons.

"On a success level, it exceeded our expectations," Borish said. "I couldn't be happier, on every level."