[Fred David /The Summer Pennsylvanian] Linkin Park lead singer Chester Bennington takes the stage in front of the Philadelphia Museum of Art at Live 8 Saturday. The group was one of 20 that performed at the charity event's U.S. component. Other shows were

Music-lovers and supporters of relief for Africa swarmed the Benjamin Franklin Parkway Saturday as Philadelphia took center stage as the only U.S. host of the Live 8 concert series.

Live 8, the 10-part sequel to the 1985 Live Aid concerts held in Philadelphia and London, was so named to reflect the influence that organizers hope the shows will have on the Group of Eight summit, which began yesterday near Edinburgh, Scotland.

Under the world's microscope, Philadelphia seems to have stood up to the test. While some were disappointed with the artist lineup and mass transit seemed at times unable to accommodate the crush of humanity, the massive clean-up was relatively swift and crowds were reasonably calm.

At a post-concert press conference, a beaming Mayor John Street said, "It was a magnificent day."

The exact number of people in attendance remains unknown. While concert organizers reported an audience about 1 million strong, other sources have estimated the actual crowd at no more than a few hundred thousand.

What is certain is that a record-breaking number of people -- 5 million -- logged onto America Online to watch live streaming video of all 10 concerts worldwide.

Acts like Linkin Park, Bon Jovi, Alicia Keys and Stevie Wonder took the stage in front of the Philadelphia Museum of Art after the concert's start just before noon. While most of the performers were received enthusiastically by the crowd, some criticized the makeup of the bill, as London's show included comparatively more popular acts, including Paul McCartney, U2, Elton John and Madonna.

Not long after the concert ended at about 6:30 p.m., about 100 city maintenance workers began the massive cleanup of garbage, paper flyers and other debris left by attendees and vendors along the Parkway.

Unlike the aftermath of the concert, traffic to and from the show was virtually mess-free. Apparently, many concert-goers heeded the advice of city officials to take public transportation -- almost to a fault. SEPTA was so swamped that delays at Suburban Station were massive. At one point during the day, officials had to turn away riders from the R1 train to Center City.

Police activity during the concert was minimal. With the exception of about 10 disorderly conduct arrests and citations, the crowd was relatively calm. With temperatures in the mid-80s, however, several hundred people suffered heat exhaustion, having to seek aid in one of several first-aid tents in the area.

Despite the heat, audience members began arriving before dawn to reserve their spot on the Parkway.

"It was awesome," Temple University student Daniel Young said. "I was out here at 6 [a.m.] and I loved every minute of it -- all 12 and a half hours."

Musician-activist Bob Geldof -- who spearheaded the concert series -- and Live 8 supporters are encouraging the world leaders meeting this week to cancel debts owed by Africa, to provide aid to the continent's impoverished and ailing population and to increase trade there.

Backstage, performers and presenters voiced their opinions on the pending global meeting.

"Clean the slate and give Africa a chance to invest in its future," performer Dave Matthews said.

When asked about the G-8 summit, rapper Kanye West, who also performed at the concert, said, "I'm not into politics, I'm into people. And I know that these people are dying -- my people."

Concert-goer Meredith Smith of Elkins Park, Pa., is confident that the shows will have an impact on the world leaders.

"So many people came out for [the concerts] that it has to make some difference," Smith said.