[Dave Walker/The Daily Pennsylvanian] The Mask and Wig comedy troupe performs during the Riepe College House dedication ceremony. Spruce College House has been officially renamed after a $10 million gift from the Riepe family in October.

Spruce College House was officially renamed Riepe College House yesterday after an evening dedication ceremony that honored the gift of University alumnus James Riepe and his family.

Penn President Amy Gutmann presided over the dedication ceremony, which was part of a weeklong celebration honoring the Riepes, Riepe College House and philanthropy in general.

The University administration announced the $10 million pledge in October 2004 from Riepe and his wife, Gail, and made public plans to rename Spruce College House in honor of the gift.

"Jim and Gail treasured their Penn experience and have been giving back ever since," Gutmann said, calling the ceremony a "wonderful Penn family occasion."

Gutmann noted that the audience included former roommates and friends of the Riepes from their days at Penn, illustrating the impact of lifelong Penn friendships and the Riepes' own "innumerable values, energy and ... great sense of fun."

The $10 million pledge from the Riepes will support the continuing maintenance of the college house -- home to 464 residents -- and the activities and services of the house, including house programs such as "health and fitness," "living cultures" and a mentoring program.

The dedication ceremony was held in the lower part of the Quadrangle and drew an audience of around 300 students and faculty members who filtered in and out of a tent filled with tables and catered food.

Riepe -- the chairman of the University Board of Trustees and the vice chairman of T. Rowe Price Group, Inc. -- graduated from the Wharton school with degrees in 1965 and 1967. He was the captain of the varsity football team at Penn and a member of the Kappa Sigma fraternity.

Riepe's wife, Gail Petty Riepe, graduated in 1968 from Penn's College for Women and was a member of Delta Delta Delta sorority. She is currently a member of the Board of Overseers for Penn's School of Veterinary Medicine.

"It's not about having your name on something," Riepe said, addressing the students in attendance. "We do it because of you. ... That's why we are involved; that's why we contributed."

"I think we have to remember how young the College House System is," Riepe said. "Our gift is a vote of confidence in the College House System."

"The Quad has its quirks and peculiarities but it is ... a very special place for us," he said, adding that he hopes future changes may bring additional dining to the lower Quad.

Students from a Riepe College House committee presented gifts to the Riepes in gratitude, and the ceremony also included a surprise performance by the Mask and Wig comedy troupe.

In an earlier interview, Riepe said he wanted to support the house system as well as the Quad with his gift, especially considering that the University has not yet raised enough money to offset the cost of the recent $75 million Quad renovations.

"The University has no shortage of financial needs," he said.

Riepe and his family have also given to Penn's financial aid endowment.

Riepe College House Dean Marilynne Diggs-Thompson said the name "Riepe College House" will not become official until the new fiscal year begins July 1, but most students seem to already be aware of the name change.

All materials sent from the Department of Housing & Conference Services have already taken note of the name change, Director of College Houses and Academic Services Leslie Delauter said.

"I think that everyone who lives in Spruce College House is aware of it," Engineering sophomore Anna Mayergoyz said of the name change.

She did not think the change was a big issue to students because "every university has donors; that's just the way things work."

Some students may feel attached to the name, but Spruce College House was originally named after Spruce Street itself and not an individual donor.

Delauter argues that because of the College House System's relatively short history, there is still ample time for new traditions to grow from Riepe College House.

"How much more meaningful will it be to have lived in a house named after an important Penn alum and philanthropist than to have lived in a house named after the street on which it happened to be situated?" Delauter asked.