[Mike Ellis/The Daily Pennsylvanian] Office of Fraternity and Sorority Affairs Director Scott Reikofski (right) looks on as Mr. and Ms. Leather Philadelphia Bill Hawk and Dawn Marie laugh during a speech during a QPenn week event.

When out on a first date, many couples may not consider walking through The Home Depot particularly romantic. Scott Reikofski, director of the Office of Fraternity and Sorority Affairs, however, knows people who would find it kinky.

Reikofski, who was named American Leatherman in 1999, is part of the leather-centered community that explores fetishes that include sadomasochistic play and bondage.

As part of the celebration of Lesbian Gay Bisexual Transgender Awareness Days this week, the LGBT Center held a panel last night entitled "What Color Is Your Hanky?" discussing "S&M;" -- sadomasochism -- and bondage, as well as the lesbian and gay community in general.

The discussion was part of the QPenn series being held on campus this week and next under the general theme of "question everything." Many members of the leather community are also active participants in the LGBT community.

The panel, consisting of current Mr. and Ms. Philadelphia Leather Bill Hawk and Dawn Marie as well as Jim Kiley-Zufelt and Jennifer Sharpe, the winners from 2003, spoke about their experiences in the LGBT community as well as their entry into the leather community.

"S&M; may or may not include pain," Reikofski said. "It could involve how much pain and stimulation their bottom can take, or it could be sensual stimulation."

"Also, roles may or may not be constant," he continued. "Whether it's a master/slave relationship, boy/girl, top/bottom, etc., it could switch."

Reikofski explained that the leather titles are much like the competitions for Ms. America, except kinkier. Categories include barwear, cruisewear, formal leather, eroticwear, fantasies and speeches.

"Titleholders are expected to represent and lead their representative communities, including a significant amount of educating, demonstrations -- such as the ins and outs of flogging -- and fundraising," he said.

Kiley spoke of his upbringing in a strict Catholic family and his coming out at the age of 15.

"In 1987, when the Leather Club formed, I felt that I finally fit in," Kiley said. "It was then that I explored S&M.;"

Sharpe talked about "stumbling" into the leather lifestyle on the Internet, as well as the "collaring" system, which often indicates some level of commitment -- such as the mindset of marriage or involvement in a polygamous relationship.

"I have the utmost respect for my mistress' marriage ... she [just] also has a collared slave, [me]," Sharp explained.

Marie described her entry into masochism, as well as her identity as a submissive, or "one who would wear a hunter-green hanky -- signifying 'I'm looking for a daddy,'" she said.

"[My partner] owns me and has the ability to make decisions for me," Marie said.

Hawk is also president of the Liberty Bears of Philadelphia -- an organization promoting camaraderie both within and outside of the LGBT community.

Hawk described himself as the "newbie for sexual activity" among the panel and commented on his view of gay marriage.

"I think the Massachusetts court made a mistake in applying the word 'marriage' [to gays]," he said.

The panelists agreed, emphasizing that while some members of the LGBT community are supportive of marriage, some are vehemently set against it, in many cases because they don't want to be limited by what other people define to be marriage.

"Everybody should feel welcome, at least that's our hope, and that is what makes us very strong," Hawk said.

Many audience members were captivated by the discussion, asking questions ranging from the panelists' views of media depiction of the LGBT community to the stances of vegetarians who are involved with the leather community.

"It was exciting," said Ninah Harris, LGBT Center program coordinator. "The panelists were excellent, and they helped open up and explore the LGBT communities that are often not explored."