Valentine's Day was anything but sweet for the hundreds of protesters rallying for public transit in Harrisburg yesterday.

With SEPTA still facing a $49 million operating budget deficit that must be closed by June 30 -- despite the $13 million in stopgap funding that Governor Ed Rendell announced in December -- time is running out as the agency prepares to implement fare hikes and service cuts.

The first phase of SEPTA's contingency plan -- which will come into effect Feb. 27 -- calls for a 25 percent increase in fares across the board, with the base cash fare increasing from $2.00 to $2.50, in addition to a 20 percent reduction in weekday service. Weekend services would also be reduced.

Some 2,500 people showed up from across the state for the rally, although the turnout may have been negatively affected by the rain, according to organizers. A number of transit agencies statewide, including SEPTA, are facing significant budget deficits.

"We had an eight-car train that was full. ... There were 30 buses from Philadelphia that were full and six buses from Pittsburgh," said Peter Javsicas, executive director of Pennsylvanians for Transportation Solutions.

Noting that though the rally may not necessarily provoke an immediate response from the government, Javsicas applauded the effort.

"[The gathering] rallied the people [and] brought all those people together and gave them a focus for their very real concerns about public transportation and the future of it," Javsicas said.

Those who showed up for the rally were split up into lobbying teams that would each visit six legislators.

"Some legislators were very sympathetic, and others were taking the view that it's up to the governor to take the lead," Javsicas said, noting that the protesters helped to put pressure on the government. "People were responding that they expected the legislature to be responsive and that [the legislature] didn't have to wait for the governor."

SEPTA, which is seeking additional short-term funding, was pleased with the rally.

"I thought it was an excellent turnout on a really nasty day," said SEPTA spokesman Richard Maloney. "It was great to have the support of so many people."

Maloney added that the presence of labor leaders and other leaders from across the state reinforced a message he said was being sent across the state."

"The support of public transportation by the government as required by state law is essential to the growth of Pennsylvania," Maloney said, adding that SEPTA was working hard to coordinate with transit advocacy groups and business leaders.

Although the rally fell on Valentine's Day, Javsicas said that it was a mere coincidence.

"It really was the amount of time we had to organize before the service cuts would go into effect," he said. "We wanted to do it before that happened, and we needed the maximum time before we put together such a large rally. ... Plus, the legislature was in session."