[Alex Small/The Daily Pennsylvanian] Smith Bros. -- full of clothes but empty of customers -- is located on the corner of 37th and Walnut streets. Customer traffic seems slow, though employees maintain that the location is popular among Penn women.

Smith Bros., the high-end clothing store on Walnut Street was eerily devoid of people Sunday afternoon save two college-aged females.

Drexel students Karen Done and Thyda Son, the two employees on duty, attributed the lack of customers to excessive snow, adding that the store was usually pretty busy.

In fact, Smith Bros. says it is doing so well that it is expanding in the Philadelphia area, having recently opened a store in Old City and at 17th and Chestnut streets in mid-March.

But some students think that more stores like Smith Bros. are not needed in the area.

"You don't go to college expecting your campus to provide great shopping," College junior Christine Taylor said, noting that the campus retailer fails to cater to the average Penn student's style -- and wallet.

And more affordable Center City retailers are also a competitive force to be reckoned with, according to Taylor, who added that shopping off-campus provides a good excuse to escape the "Penn bubble."

But location may be everything for the campus location, even with the Center City store on the way.

"The customer in Rittenhouse Square area does not go to campus or Old City to shop," said Smith Bros. co-owner Wayne Shulick, who added that the new store in Rittenhouse will not affect the store on campus.

Shulick added that he does not believe that students or others like to travel far to shop, especially if there are other clothing options nearby.

But for students who want to satisfy shopping urges on campus, current selections seem meager.

"I think there should be more stores in the area. More options and more variety would definitely benefit the community," College junior Ann Marie Segal said, noting that clothing stores in the area were generally expensive.

A quick scan of the shopping corridor of Walnut Street -- which includes a Gap, Ann Taylor Loft and Urban Outfitters along with the Smith Bros. store -- reveals that it is often easier to find clothing for over $100 than it is to find a T-shirt for $20.

Done, however, said she believes that only one change was needed to improve clothing options around University City -- and price wasn't the word that rolled off her tongue.

"There is a need for shoe stores," Done said.