[Iris Leung/The Daily Pennsylvanian] College freshman and Penn Figure Skating Team President Kristen Sheaffer, a three-time Minnesota state skating champion, performs to the music of 'Silent Night' at the first annual Holiday Ice Show December 11.

The Penn Figure Skating Team dazzled their way across the ice with double axels and triple toes Saturday in their first-ever exhibition.

The Holiday Ice Show featured Penn's top figure skaters spinning and gliding to the rhythms of holiday classics such as "The Nutcracker" and "Santa Baby." The exhibition was followed by an open skate session, for which the majority of the audience laced up their skates.

More than 200 people watched from the bleachers of the Class of 1923 Ice Rink to see the student-choreographed and organized spectacle, which was conceptualized two months ago.

"For our first time, it was fantastic," said Skating Team member and Graduate School of Design student Jackie Wong, who added that the team had been expecting around 100 attendees.

Penn Figure Skating Team President and College freshman Kristen Sheaffer was also impressed by the turnout.

"The crowd was great ... I was pleased with the positive response we got from campus," Sheaffer said.

The three-time Minnesota State skating champion displayed her skating prowess with a lay back spin, while holding her leg behind her head in a wildly applauded rendition of "Pink Panther."

The recently formed team previously consisted of individuals interested in figure skating, but they had not performed together as a group. This year, however, with the influx of freshmen skaters who have been nationally and internationally recognized, the team decided it was time to premiere their talents in an exhibition.

The 10 performers, a mix of both competitive and recreational figure skaters, practiced seven to ten hours per week in preparation for the show.

"I thought it was cool that they were actual professionals," College freshmen Dina Saginur said. "I couldn't do anything like what they do myself."

In addition to 13 individual and two group performances, announcer Rusty Fein dressed as a dreidel -- a traditional Jewish toy used to celebrate Hanukkah -- and performed a spinning exhibition midway through the show. The College senior, who performed alongside a blown up Santa and Frosty the Snowman was unable to perform a more difficult skating routine due to knee surgery last month.

"It definitely put me in the holiday spirit," College freshman Brittany Bonnette said. "I was singing and clapping and dancing."

Other audience members also seemed to be getting in the holiday spirit. Some audience members threw roses and even their own shirts onto the ice, despite the near-freezing temperatures at the rink.

The team plans to further spread holiday cheer by donating half of Saturday night's proceeds to the Salvation Army.

The team will also recycle some of the non-lyrical routines from the Holiday Ice Show for upcoming competitions. The first intercollegiate meeting will occur in mid-February.