In her first semester as University President, Amy Gutmann has articulated a long-term plan for the University's future and appointed a number of administrators who will aid her in implementing it. Some progress has been made already, but many of the details of the plan have been left for upcoming semesters.

Gutmann created her vision for the future of the University with the "Penn Compact" -- a set of goals that includes increased access, integration of knowledge and local and global engagement as its key points. And with the appointment of several new vice presidents, she has established the backbone of her support team.

The early December decision to replace the old Hillel building on 36th Street with a new $22 million Annenberg Public Policy Center was one of two major tangible changes to the University.

In another tangible move, Gutmann announced an initiative that increased graduate student stipends by $1,750 to $17,500 in mid-September. The 11 percent raise affected students in the schools of Art and Sciences, Design, Education, Social Work and Nursing.

Following that announcement, 12 trustees pledged $100,000 each towards the creation of twelve fellowships for graduate students.

Next semester, Gutmann has said she plans to tackle the issue of undergraduate financial aid and continue fundraising efforts, as the start of an official capital campaign approaches.

"I could not have imagined a more unified and more enthusiastic Penn community than the community that has rallied behind the compact," Gutmann said, adding that the support of students, faculty, alumni provides strong support that will aid in the compact's implementation.

The three-pronged Penn Compact was first unveiled during Gutmann's inaugural address in mid-October.

Its first goal is to make Penn affordable for all qualified students by working towards providing better financial aid packages for undergraduates and graduates.

The Penn Compact is also aimed at increasing the interdisciplinary research within the University's many schools and centers. Currently the Dean's Council and the Provost's office are discussing possible ways for moving towards that goal, but no specific steps have been taken yet.

Finally, Gutmann's vision put an emphasis on collaborative engagement on both the local and global levels.

The University agenda for the upcoming semester will also feature plans for the development of the postal lands -- the recently acquired property near 30th Street Station -- and finding a permanent provost, the University's top academic official.

With intermediate fundraising goals already ahead of schedule -- exceeding expectations by $56 million at the end of October -- Gutmann said that the University has been able to move forward with the implementation of its goals.

But as of yet, the compact's influence on the University has been primarily on the theoretical level.

Gutmann established a firm administrative foundation with a number of appointments throughout the semester.

Early on in the semester, Craig Carnaroli was appointed to the post of executive vice president. Carnaroli, in turn, helped to hire the new University Treasurer and Vice President for Finance Scott Douglass as well as John Zeller, the new vice president for development and alumni relations.

The appointment of Rebecca Bushnell to replace Samuel Preston as the new dean for the School of Arts and Sciences sparked enthusiasm among the faculty and staff, but created a new vacancy for the position of College dean.