Greater caution will likely be taken at future Greek social events in light of the Office of Student Conduct conclusion that Psi Upsilon violated the University alcohol policy, according to leaders in the Greek community.

These leaders also stressed that more attention will now be placed on revising the existing alcohol policy to better suit campus needs.

The OSC investigation into Psi Upsilon -- also known as the Castle -- followed a Sept. 18 registered party, at which College junior Matthew Paris was critically injured after allegedly drinking 21 shots. The OSC concluded this week that the Castle violated the University alcohol policy, but that these violations did not cause the Pi Kappa Alpha brother's fall from the house's second-floor balcony.

The report concluded that, while the Castle followed policy rules on the first floor, there was unrestricted, unmonitored alcohol access on the upper floors.

Though InterFraternity Council President Conor O'Callaghan expects the findings of the report to affect the Greek community, he said Paris' injury left a larger imprint on students' minds.

"I think the bigger lesson, of course, is learned from the terrible tragedy that happened. ... That will leave a much greater impact on the Greek community than any report or policy changes," the Wharton and Engineering senior said.

Still, he noted that fraternity officers would likely alter their behavior in direct response to the OSC's findings.

"I think that the report will cause fraternity presidents to take greater note of what is going on throughout their entire house during registered parties," O'Callaghan said.

Panhellenic Council President Erica Shmerler agreed that houses are probably going to become more cautious.

"I think that, in general, houses will try to be much more aware during their parties of what is going on around them and in all areas of their houses," Shmerler wrote in an e-mail interview.

"Sororities are not nearly as affected by any policy changes in regards to this sort of Greek event, because we do not have on-campus registered parties," she added. "But on the larger level of the Greek community, I think people will have ... an increased self-awareness in terms of safety at social events."

Some students predicted that, along with the Greeks, University officials will be impacted by the OSC findings.

University officials "will attempt to be more strict. ... I think that they will be more reluctant to allow registered parties," said Jared Bernheim, an Engineering sophomore and member of Alpha Epsilon Pi.

Finally, the report will likely impact the approach the Alcohol Response Team -- a body of administrators and students convened this year to address alcohol use on campus -- takes in revamping the University alcohol policy.

"There are some alarming issues that need to be addressed" in light of the OSC conclusions, O'Callaghan said, noting, "specifically the fact that alcohol was being served in areas of the party not in view of the alcohol monitors."

"Under the current policy, the consumption of alcohol in upstairs bedrooms falls into somewhat of a gray area, and I feel that it's going to be important for ART, the IFC and the administration to work to more clearly define what is and is not appropriate behavior" at registered parties.