[Carin Bloom/The Daily Pennsylvanian] Freshman guard Michael Kach, shown at last Friday's Coaches vs. Cancer Big 5 Open Practice, is expected to make an instant impact on the team this season. He spent last year at The Winchendon School in Massachusetts

Michael Kach can jump out of the gym.

The 6-foot-4 freshman guard has been wowing all those around him with his amazing athletic ability from the day he got to Penn.

Kach's jumping ability combined with his prep school experience make him the most ready to play in a talented group of Quakers freshmen.

Kach attended The Winchendon School in Massachusetts last year. He played on a team that featured 11 players who are playing Division I basketball this year.

"Mike is gonna make a really big impact, possibly sooner than later," fellow freshman David Whitehurst said. "I like his game. He runs up and down the court. He's real athletic."

The athleticism will certainly translate into some great highlights this year. But, Kach's playing time, just like that of the other freshmen, will depend a lot more on the way he plays during the season than on the hype he is receives before it.

"The prep school experience helps him," Penn coach Fran Dunphy said of Kach. "But, that being said, when he's given his opportunity, he has to reward himself and his teammates with good solid play."

In college basketball, it's hard for any freshman to make a huge impact in his first year.

"It's a whole different world," Dunphy explained. "You're going from the oldest guy in your class to the youngest guy in your class, you're typically not as strong as everyone else, and they know what they're doing and you don't know what you're doing."

Despite Kach's unbelievable athletic ability, it could mean nothing once the season gets started.

The other freshmen also have some of the tools that could make them future stars in the Ivy League.

Brian Grandieri is a smart point guard, whom Penn fans unfortunately will have to wait another year to see. Grandieri suffered a tear of his anterior cruciate ligament and will be sidelined for the season.

That could mean Quakers fans will see Grandieri in red and blue for an extra year, but that decision is made by the NCAA and not until his senior year at Penn.

Joe Gill is a thinly-framed freshman from Germantown Academy whose deficiencies as a Division I college basketball player are extremely evident the minute you look at him, but who could possibly make a big impact in the future.

Gill carries only 180 pounds on his 6-foot-6 frame. But, what he lacks in athleticism, he makes up for in skill.

"Joe is very witty," Whitehurst said of his new teammate. "He knows what he's doing on the court."

Gill certainly has the right attitude going into the season.

"I'm just gonna try and work my way into the lineup, do what I can," he said. "I like to get all my teammates involved, pass the ball, keep the defense on their heels."

Gill's penchant for passing will certainly help the Quakers this year.

David Whitehurst, who comes to Penn via Lawrenceville Academy, is another good athlete who needs to develop more of his basketball skills than his physical ones.

Whitehurst was an All-American hurdler in high school, finishing third in the 110-meter hurdles in the High School Nationals.

Whitehurst will most likely be featured as a defensive specialist and a guy who can come off the bench and add some speed to Penn's lineup.

"Dave is an excellent defender," Gill said. "A great ball handler, he's really gonna help us this year."

It's hard to compare recruiting classes, but Dunphy sees this year's class as having the potential to be just as good as last year's.

"I think in many ways they're the same in terms of what you thought they would bring to the table," Dunphy said. "But if this year's class gave us what last year's class gave us, we'll be in pretty good shape."